Pages

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Maine Coon in the House!

This house has seen some exceptional cats in our house.  Before Pişi, Squeak and I moved in, my hubby housed the neighborhood nasty girl, Aslana. In another life, I shared my home with a wacky rescue named Nevada,  and a Maine Coon mix named Monty, who to this day I consider my most affable cat.  He was my only male cat - for some reason I'm prone to adopting sassy, strong girl cats. Pişi for one.  Squeak is proving herself to be pretty sassy, in her own fourteen-year-old fluffy cat way, with a new girl in town.

I thought, in fact, that Squeak might have some Maine Coon in her.


This is why I made the choice to go for blue-blood.  Pişi dominated Squeak as only a former Turkish street cat could, that is until towards the end of Pişi's life.  Squeak took some strong stands against that old street scrapper, but I must say that Squeak also showed the greatest respect for Pişi as she aged and grew weaker.  In fact, Squeak was in the room when Pişi took her last breath, and Squeak approached her gently, sniffed her, then quietly walked away.


I wanted Squeak to have a new companion a bit more like herself.  Since I thought she might have some Maine Coon in her, or Norwegian Forest Cat, I went looking for one of those.  A friend of ours had two Maine Coons - Delphine and Dodge.  Delphine and Dodge weren't being bred for any reason except to have babies.  (Dodge didn't have papers, though his pure heritage was apparent.)  In fact, here are some pictures of Frankie's parents:


Dodge and Delphine - making babies, I guess. (They had three litters together before Dodge passed away.  Frankie was from the first.)


Frankie (Francesca) and her mom Delphine


Frankie's daddy, Dodge



So, yes, I thought Squeak might have Maine Coon in her.  But hey, once I got a pure Maine Coon, I began to realize they are in a class all their own.  The normal rules of domestic cats just don't apply.  And if we try to enforce them, well, she just overpowers us!














1 comment:

World of Animals, Inc said...

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful photos. We just love Maine coons that stop into our office all the time. Hope you're having a wonderful day.
World of Animals